| Job Description: ||
• Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering discipline.
• Must have a minimum of 15 years of progressive Civil or Structural design experience in the fields of highway, bridge, rail, and/or transit.
• Must have demonstrated experience managing design teams on large, complex engineering projects, especially alternative delivery (e.g., design-build).
• Must have, or be able to obtain Professional Engineer registration in Oregon and Washington.
• Eight (8) years experience in staff management, including managing a department and/or large design-build projects.
• Client management and project management experience on design-build projects of at least $100 million construction value.
• Experience preparing design fees and negotiating fees with clients including contractors.
• Extensive experience preparing proposals and conducting presentations.
• Experienced at public speaking with good written and verbal communication skills.
• Experienced with interpreting contract documents.
• Experience in the field of risk management.
• Field engineering experience necessary to be able to make field decisions related to construction conflicts.
• Must have a successful track record in conflict resolution.
• Must have a positive attitude and a propensity for collaborative teamwork.
• Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.
URS is one of the largest, global, fully integrated engineering, construction and technical services firms with the capabilities to support the full project life cycle. We offer a full range of program management; planning, design and engineering; systems engineering; a broad range of science and technical services; construction and construction management; operations and maintenance; and decommissioning and closure services. Our business lines encompass private sector (mining, oil and gas, power, pipeline, commercial-industrial, manufacturing, and chemical-Pharmaceutical); infrastructure (surface transportation, rail and mass transit, aviation, ports and harbors, and water resources, treatment, and distribution); and federal programs. With more than 50,000 employees in a network of offices in major cities throughout the Americas, Asia-Pacific, the Middle East and Europe, our broad-based expertise is a valued resource for federal, state and local government agencies, as well as Fortune 500 and other private industry clients worldwide.
TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS PROFILE:
For more than a century, URS has worked with clients worldwide to develop innovative solutions to their surface transportation needs. Today, URS provides the full range of services required to plan, design, construct, and operate and maintain transportation projects for public and private owners. We deliver world-class services in transportation planning, including land use and master planning, route planning, alternatives analyses, environmental impact statements, and expertise in public-private partnerships and alternative financing. Our design and construction experience spans every type of highway, bridge, tunnel, and interchange. Our resume includes several of the world’s largest design-build projects and our program and construction management expertise has helped clients achieve cost, schedule and quality objectives on thousands of transportation assignments.
Similarly, URS has worked with major railroad companies, transit authorities, and federal and state transportation agencies since the early 1900s. Our expertise encompasses the full scope of resources required to turn a conceptual design into a functioning system, including planning, environmental management, engineering design, construction, program and construction management, and operations and maintenance. We also offer specialized expertise in vehicle rehabilitation, signal control, and communication systems. Our expertise encompasses all forms of rail and subway, as well as bus rapid transit (BRT) systems and streetcars. We have an enviable track record in providing engineering and construction services for multi-year, multi-million-dollar projects for major transit agencies and have consistently ranked among the top design-build firms and heavy civil contractors for mass transit and rail projects. Our record is particularly visible in the Pacific Northwest, where our contribution of major transit projects continues to be an example for emerging transit agencies. Our Portland office is currently the industry leader in streetcar design which is helping to shape the communities where we live and work.
URS is ranked #2 in transportation and #3 in mass transit by Engineering News Record. Our Pacific Northwest operation continues to win key projects throughout the Pacific Northwest Region, including Oregon. We are in need of talented transportation professionals to join our growing transportation business.
This is an opportunity to join our dynamic and growing Pacific Northwest team as a Design Manager for Design-Build or other alternative delivery project opportunities in the Pacific Northwest region, specifically in the greater Seattle area. This individual will serve on current and planned project opportunities, and will have an important role in expanding URS’ transportation business. Primary duties would include:
• Serve as a key member of the NW Region Transportation design team.
• Work closely with our Surface Transportation Market Segment Leader in developing new business.
• Project work entails the oversight of the design-build design team and the delivery of the products required for the successful completion of the project.
• The position requires the Design Manager to be engaged on the project from inception to completion, which includes participation in the teaming meetings with contractors, negotiation of the terms and conditions for the pre-award and post-award work, preparation of qualification statements, leading and participating in the task group meetings with contractors to advance the design, development of innovative approaches to project elements to reduce costs and add value, development of the design schedule and design delivery plan, and preparation and negotiation of the design fee with the contractors.
• The position requires working closely with the contractor’s staff while supporting the URS design position throughout the term of the work.
• The position can be based in any office within the NW Region of URS. Travel will be required. It is expected that on alternative delivery projects, co-location will be required based on where the contractor deems most appropriate for the project pursuit and execution.