| Job Description: ||
• B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related technical discipline or equivalent and 8 years of experience
• Strong problem solving skills with experience supporting a large scale 24x7 failover
• Independent programming, including responsibility for software development projects and/or demonstrated programming team leadership is preferred
• Ability to manage IBM Mainframe based applications and systems
• Strong troubleshooting capabilities
• Prior hands-on support of structured software development effort
• Experience with one or more database designs and interfaces between systems and technologies
• Working knowledge of recognized quality standards on Information Technology projects
• Excellent organizational, documentation, and communication skills with the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively (verbally and written)
• Peer review team documentation
• Ability to work comfortably in a high-energy, multi-vendor environment
• Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse team environment
Possession of the following skillsets and knowledge preferred:
• Knowledge of COBOL, JCL and legacy technologies
• Prior DHS or other Government experience
• Knowledge of SELC, ITIL, CMMI ML3 or related standards
• Experience supporting biographic and biometric applications a plus
• Must be a U.S. Citizen
• Must meet security clearance requirements for Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
For the three (3) years prior to the filing of an application for employment, individuals must meet the one or more of the following primary residence criteria:
(a) the applicant resided in the United States (short trips abroad, such as vacations, will not necessarily disqualify an applicant); or
(b) the applicant worked for the U.S. Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or military capacity; or
(c) the applicant was a dependent of a U.S. Federal or military employee serving overseas.
CURRENT CBP FULL BI STRONGLY PREFERRED.
URS Corporation - a FORTUNE 500 Company - is a fully integrated engineering and technical services organization with the capabilities to support every stage of the project life cycle. URS provides these services for the U.S. federal government, national governments of other countries, state and local government agencies in the United States, FORTUNE 500 companies and other multinational corporations. We have approximately 50,000 employees in a network of offices in more than 30 countries. The Company’s business is focused on four key market sectors: Federal, Infrastructure, Power, and Industrial & Commercial.
URS has an opportunity for a Principal Mainframe Developer to join our team! This position will be located in either Springfield, Virginia or McLean, Virginia. Position is contingent upon contract award.
The Principle Mainframe Developer supports mainframe-based applications across multiple environments and platforms, provides enhancements to the current database, and troubleshoots program and job problems.
The Principle Mainframe Developer also supports software development and/or applications to implement key projects.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Working with Java and PL/SQL developers to transition to targeted architecture environment
• Develop, maintain, and enhance existing program code for break-fix issues
• Troubleshoot mainframe problems in the production environment
• Ensure components work together to meet performance goals as defined in the requirements
• Review all project documentation and provide written feedback on discrepancies
• Prepare milestone status reports, updates, and presentations to management, clients, and end user representatives
• Ensure managers are fully informed of status and deviations from documented requirements
• Participate in gate reviews and client meetings, as needed
• Test software for bugs and clean the code. Write testing scripts to operate and test all elements of programs. Review results and make necessary changes. Attempt to replicate problems, determine causes and fix codes to eliminate recurrence of problems
• Integrate codes with portions of software package developed by other team members
• Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback to other developers
• Ensure that all development efforts are integrated so that code is readily readable and maintainable by other team members
• Research new methods, libraries, and tool versions. Maintain current awareness
• Ability to install own software
• Be accessible to team members for documentation related to change requests affecting the mainframe
• Supervises a team of engineers as they design system architectures, develop and/or integrate hardware/software information and communications systems to support client
requirements and assure that present and future cross functional requirements are effectively integrated into solutions.