| Job Description: ||
The Rocky Mountain Region of Whole Foods Market is seeking an experienced, service-driven creative professional with a proven track record of success in the areas of design, brand management, and visual merchandising. Strong communication, problem-solving, and a passion for retailing are required. An ideal candidate is: drawn to working in a mission-driven, empowering corporate environment, willing to wear a variety of hats—some glamorous, some not—and someone who is highly collaborative and comfortable with a fast-paced, heavy work load.|
The Creative Team Lead (CTL) position in our company functions as an Art Director, and is responsible for the creative identity of the Rocky Mountain Region. This encompasses 32 stores in CO, ID, KS, NM & UT—each with one or more dedicated graphic artists and a store marketer.
The Creative Team Lead works with an Executive Marketing Coordinator, regional project manager, product coordinator/buying group, store team leaders, marketing team members, and store graphic artists to create point-of-purchase, digital, large scale, and store décor materials. They are integral in coaching & developing store teams to produce corollary materials throughout the region and work with multiple stakeholders to ensure cohesion and strategic planning.
This position will have at least one direct report and will serve as the main point of contact to store graphic artists - providing training, job coaching and general support as needed. The CTL will also be responsible for the hiring and managing of a variety of freelance designers to meet the region's production needs which range from 30 - 300 projects at a time.
Approximately 50% of this team member's responsibilities will be focused in store, supporting store-level marketers and graphic artists in their efforts to drive their businesses. This roll will require approximately 30% travel. Store openings comprise a significant portion of this travel; on average, there are 2-4 per year.
Whole Foods Market is the world's leading retailer of natural and organic foods and is a Fortune 500 company. Additionally, Whole Foods Market has been included in Fortune magazine's 100 Best Places to Work for every year since the list's inception in 1998. We are is committed to hiring passionate people who enjoy a hands-on retail environment while inspiring themselves and others to do more for their team members, their customers, their neighbors and the planet.
This position reports directly to the Executive Marketing Coordinator:
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead creative and design strategy for Whole Foods Market's Rocky Mountain Region
- Oversee design and production of all regional marketing materials
- Design and/or art direct collateral to support regional and store marketing and product teams teams, while creating a consistent identity to drive sales
- Update, create and maintain packaging, identity and branding programs
- Prepare files for print and ensure quality of printed materials
- Ensure graphic consistency and marketing program visibility throughout the stores
- Uphold brand standards of Whole Foods Market
- Work on-site at store openings to design, print, install & troubleshoot all signage and marketing programs; support marketing teammates in event execution and other merchandising initiatives
- Track projects to ensure deadlines are met in an organized fashion
- Take part in hiring and mentoring in-store graphic artists
- Oversee efforts of regional design team while providing coaching opportunities
- Support stores on key holidays
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
- Experience directly managing 2 - 5 people at a minimum; demonstrated ability to positively motivate and lead a team to success
- Exemplary, pro-active, & progressive communication skills
- Experience successfully developing team members into new roles & opportunities
- Perceptive coaching abilities to improve varying skillsets in 30+ store based graphic artists
- Emotional intelligence; ability to accept and give feedback about design, performance & retail expectations in a feedback-driven corporate culture
- Ability to successfully resolve conflict and generate growth
- Ability to build consensus with a wide range of internal and external personalities, goals & opinions
- Ability to provide direct, hands-on support to stores and regional teams, and a willingness to wear many hats, regardless of the task
- Systems intelligence
- Ability to strategize, organize & facilitate meetings
- DESIGN & PROJECT MANAGEMENT:
- 8 - 10 years experience in professional graphic design positions
- 1 - 2 years experience in art direction preferred
- Expert in Adobe Suites and proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to design for web, digital & new media platforms
- Strong and innovative retail package design/point of view
- Food and lifestyle photography art direction experience required; portfolio examples documented
- Exceptional time management and project trafficking abilities to meet multiple project deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced environment; work characterized by a calm sense of urgency
- Ability to handle heavy work loads in a fast-paced environment; agency experience a plus
- Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines and short lead times; flexibility & an even temperament suited for a retail corporate environment is a must
- Understanding of print production processes; strong understanding of print-ready files
- POINT OF VIEW:
- Personal passion for lifestyle brands and mission-driven initiatives
- Strong eye for retail systems, environments, messaging tools, and visual merchandising
- Acute awareness of current marketing and retail trends, techniques & practices
- Passion for food
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Job duties may change as business needs dictate.
WHO WE ARE
- Austin, Texas-based Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM) is the leading natural and organic food retailer, and one of the most vibrant lifestyle brands in the country.
- We have been named one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” in America by FORTUNE magazine for 15 consecutive years.
- Our company's motto, “Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet” captures its mission to ensure customer satisfaction and health, Team Member excellence and happiness, enhanced shareholder and supplier partner value, community support and environmental improvement.
- With $12.9 billion in sales last year, 367 stores, and more than seven million customer visits each week, Whole Foods Market is dedicated to providing communities with fresh, healthy, natural and organic food.
- We are an always-evolving, experimental lifestyle retailer with a goal of reaching 1,000 stores.